How to make reliable HP with a 2jz
Here at Brewed Motorsports we have been long time 1jz and 2jz tuners. Needless to say the legendary Toyota 1jz & 2jz are well proven platforms that will handle almost anything you can throw at them. As you know Toyota produced a wide range of JZ engines not all of which are the same. In this article we will cover build options from wild to mild for ALL JZ platforms including 2jzgte and 2jzge-t non vvti and vvti engines. While the turbo 2jzgte is always the more desirable engine the NA 2jzge vvti found in MANY Lexus/Toyota’s including the IS300 is a budget friendly way to enter the 2jz market with a ton of potential.
If you don’t see the parts you have been dreaming of using on your 2jz please send us an email. We are happy to discuss your build and ensure you get the parts that best match your goals for the build and driving style.
Below are just a few of our most popular and race proven 1JZ / 2JZGTE / 2JZGE parts and packages along with a special coupon code to help you save some $$ on your next order.
- IS300 AEM infinity ECU harness: VE plug n play IS300 adapter harness (a clean/simple plug n play harness to adapt your IS300 to run on an AEM Infinity ECU.
- AEM infinity 506 ECU (extremely capable standalone ECU heavily tested on the IS300)
- AEM 5 bar MAP sensor (reliable Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor)
- AEM air intake temp sensor DTM connector
- AEM 150psi fuel pressure sensor (Engine safety feature, allows ECU to compensate for drop in fuel pressure)
- 3 port electric boost control solenoid (ebcs allows ECU to control boost target, very important for engine safety)
- Bosch 4.2 LSU wideband o2 sensor (used by Infinity ECU internal wideband controller)
- ID1050x injectors
- AEM in tank high flow fuel pump (e85/ethanol safe)
- E-tune Infinity ecu: (Once the parts are installed i can easily E-tune the car for you which is all done through data logs and calibration revisions.
- Get $50 off any Injector Dynamics order with coupon code: hohu50
- Get $100 off any ECU + Dash OR Wiring Harness with coupon code: hohu100
Secrets to a Reliable 2JZ
Making reliable power on the 2jz is quite easy as long as you follow the basic recipe and ensure you are using high quality parts in your build. Investing in the right parts now not only saves you time is also saves you money in the long run! In this post we will cover the key parts ALL 1jz / 2jzgte and 2jzge engines need to use to make reliable power. These are the same parts used to make 1000+HP on a big single turbo 2jzgte or 4-500HP on a stock block 2jzge NA-T build. From drifting to Drag to Time Attack every high power JZ will use the parts below.
1jz / 2jz ECU Packages
As with any engine arguably the most important aspect of making reliable power is the ECU and tune for the engine. The ECU (engine control unit) monitors all engine sensors and controls the fuel, timing and boost based on the tune or calibration file saved inside the ECU. Here at Brewed we have tuned countless 2jz engines on a huge range of ECU’s. Through our hands on experience and track testing we have developed the best ECU packages for every 1jz and 2jz application including:
These ECU packages are available complete with plug and play wiring harnesses or ECU only so you can build your own harness to the exact specification you need for your application. For those who want a complete turn key package we offer remote setup and tuning services for all our ECU packages. All of our 2jz ecu’s feature multiple engine protection strategies to keep your engine safe and running strong for years to come. Fuel pressure, oil pressure, knock, boost and AFR are all used in our engine protection strategies for our Motec, Haltech and AEM ecu kits.
1jz / 2jz Fuel System
The OEM 2jzgte, 2jzge and 1jz fuel injectors are small, while they work if you are planning to make any real power gains you will want to upgrade to Injector Dynamics injectors. For 400-600HP JZ builds the ID1050x Injectors are a perfect match. If your planning to make 600-800HP we use the ID1300x. For 800-1200HP we have the ID1700x and 1200HP+ 2jz builds can use the ID2600-xds injectors.
If you don’t want to use the OEM 2jz top feed fuel rail we offer the Radium engineering 2jzgte high flow fuel rail to match your new ID injectors perfectly. The Radium fuel rail features optional DMR and FPD + a port for one of our 150psi fuel pressure sensors that is then used within the ECU as an engine protection strategy to keep your engine safe under all conditions. When it comes to the fuel pump choice for your JZ engine we have you fully covered with high flow in tank fuel pumps, Inline fuel pumps and mechanical fuel pumps for those 1500+hp methanol burning JZ builds.
Stay tuned for our upcoming post featuring all your favorite Turbos, Turbo Manifolds and Intake Manifolds for the 2jz and 1jz engines.
Fuel Injectors & Parts
ECU Harnesses & Sensors